Hi – I’m Arp Laszlo, father of 4 amazing kids and husband to a beautiful & inspiring woman. I’ve lived in New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Illinois and Costa Rica – finally settling down in sunny Florida. I like using sports analogies when talking about birth and am convinced that every father to be out there can avoid the Manning Face at the birth of their child.
The first time I was a deer in headlights – I learned that I needed to really be there for my wife in order to help. The second time I was very present for my wife during the birth but I could have done more afterward. I learned that a birth experience is never really over until the midwife has left the building. Finally, the third time was so quick, joyous and easy that before I even realized it, I had an adorable baby butt in my hand. I learned something from that one too: never expect your next birth to be like the one that came before it! I’ll be sharing each of the birth stories here shortly so you’ll know what I’m talking about.
I wish I could have a replay on the whole first birth. It would have been great if I’d known what I know now and skipped ahead to the Me from our second birth.
With just one friend who was a dad, I didn’t have a whole lot of people to turn to for advice. In my case, talking to my own dad was out of the question – he still proudly says how he’s never changed a diaper, though he has toned that down a bit as he sees me changing them all the time.
26 random things about me
- I am an only child.
- I am the first person in my family to be born in the USA.
- I once auditioned for Opryland as a Johnny Cash impersonator.
- My mom was the last person in my family to be born at home until my daughter 55 years later.
- I studied French for 6 years but my accent is so bad a woman in France once asked me to speak to her in English so she could understand me.
- I lived in Costa Rica with my family for 14 months.
- I believe the library system is one of the absolute best things about the US of A.
- I had the misfortune of being a die-hard New York Knicks fan living in Chicago during the Chicago Bulls’ first three-peat.
- I still think Magic Johnson was a better basketball player than Michael Jordan.
- My first concert was Van Halen in New Haven during their 5150 tour. It was 1986 and I was 14.
- I only threw out that concert T-shirt in 2009.
- I saw George ‘The Animal’ Steele and Jimmy ‘Superfly’ Snuka wrestle in a local high school gym once.
- I saved the fuzz from the turnbuckle The Animal ripped apart for years.
- I hate bandwagon jumpers and was an Indianapolis Colts fan for years just because they were awful.
- 3 movies I can watch over & over are Ace Ventura, Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Sound of Music.
- I compose electronic music; some of it has been used in television and commercials.
- My favorite ice cream flavor is cookies & cream.
- I learned to swim when I was 32.
- I love Irish folk music & Guinness.
- I once drank Schlitz on tap in a bar formerly owned by Al Capone.
- When we first met, my future wife lied and told me she was Irish.
- My favorite superheroes when I was a kid were Batman & Green Arrow because they didn’t have superpowers.
- My prized possession is a photo of the 1960s TV Batman & Robin signed & addressed to me by Adam West.
- I’ve played guitar on & off for years and still suck at it.
- The loudest band I ever saw was The Ramones on Halloween in 1993.
- I impersonated Elvis at my sister-in-law’s wedding. I sang for real and my back hurt like hell after I was done trying to dance like The King.